Wednesday 27 April 2022

Sesame cake



At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I really like simple cakes. This one definitely fits the bill - made in a loaf tin, with ingredients I already had, it had the added advantage of using up some black sesame seeds that had been languishing in my pantry since buying them for some recipe I can now no longer remember. It showcases not just sesame seeds (both black and white) but also tahini. Unsurprisingly - given that ingredient list - it's like halva in cake form - lightly sweet, utterly more-ish and quite magnificent with black coffee.

 



Sesame cake
Recipe by Yossy Arefi, via The Wednesday Chef

You can absolutely use just white sesame seeds if that's all you have but the combination of black and white does give a really pretty speckled effect.


6 tbsp (50g) sesame seeds (white, black or mixed)
3/4 cup (150g) sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup (120ml) milk
1/2 cup (120ml) well-stirred tahini
1/4 cup (60ml) neutral vegetable oil, such as canola or grapeseed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 tsp sea salt
1 1/4 cups (160g) all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp bicarb (baking) soda
1 tsp raw sugar, optional


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a standard-sized loaf tin with baking paper, letting the sides hang over to create a sling.

Whisk the sugar and the egg in a large bowl til pale and foamy, about a minute. Add the milk, tahini, oil, vanilla and salt. Whisk to combine. With a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, fold in the flour, half the sesame seeds, the baking powder and bicarb soda. 

Pour the batter into the lined tin, tapping it gently on the counter (once filled) to release any air bubbles. Sprinkle the remaining sesame seeds on top of the cake and, if using, the raw sugar.

Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until the loaf is puffed and golden, and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.

Transfer cake to a wire rack and let cool for about 15 minutes. Use the baking paper overhang to lift the cake out of the tin and let cool completely before slicing and serving.

4 comments:

  1. Alice I love your blog and hope you'll be posting some more 2023 cake recipes! Alice could I use buttermilk instead of milk or would it change the flavour?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! That's so nice of you. I'm sure you could use buttermilk and it would only be delicious. Good luck with the cake. It's one of my favourites. On repeat in my kitchen as it's so easy. If you're in Australia, I noticed that Coles sells black sesame seeds so no need to seek out specially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Alice I made the cake with buttermilk and it was delicious!! One of my faves I think!! So thank you and please keep more cakes coming!
      I’m in the Uk and still on the hunt for those black sesame seeds!! 🤩

      Delete
    2. Hi there. Just posted a new recipe. I'm told regular readers no longer receive emails to tell them (working on how to rectify this) so just letting you know!

      Delete